[CentOS] Centos 5 on Large Disks.

Christopher Chan christopher at ias.com.hk
Tue Oct 23 10:41:51 UTC 2007

> I know that XFS gets all the press about being a great performing file
> system ... but if you want the best stability on CentOS, you should at
> least consider ext3 instead.

+1

> I have worked very hard to get stable code for xfs in centos-4 and
> centos-5, and lots of people use it, but (IMHO) ext3 is still much more
> stable with the CentOS Kernels.
>
> That is my $0.02 ... I'm sure other people will tell you I am all hosed
> up :D

I will be telling them wait for a power loss, wait for the XFS code to
shut down one of its filesystem for no reason, take a good look at the
neverending stream of bug fixes in the mainline kernel, take a look at
those kernel developers who have openly announced they want nothing to
do with the XFS codebase and to note the fact that the XFS code is the
largest there is for a filesystem due to all the workarounds they have
had to put into to deal with Linux's different vm and other stuff.

There is a reason why XFS is not that stable but it sure is the fastest
there is for writes.