[CentOS] Centos 5 on Large Disks [SOLVED]

Anup Shukla anup at iamcool.net
Wed Oct 24 05:16:34 UTC 2007

Anup Shukla wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Sorry if this has been answered many times.
> But i have been going through a lot of pages (via google search).
> The more i search, the more its confusing me.
>
> I have a server with 6 (750G each) SATA disks with H/W Raid 5.
>
> I plan to allocate the space as follows
>
> swap 8G
> /boot 100M
> / 20G
> -- and remaining space to /data{1,2,3,N} (equal sizes)
>
> However after the installation and reboot, i got an error about bad
> partition for /data8
>
> I had hit the 2T limit.
>
> Then i found this page at
> http://www.knowplace.org/pages/howtos/linux_large_filesystems_support.php
>
> which speaks of using Parted/LVM2 and XFS.
>
> If i understand this correctly,
> I need to have 1 disk to host the CentOS installation.
> And i can use the other 5 disks in a RAID array
> (label type gpt...)
>
> Is it not possible to partition and use the existing RAID 5 volume?
>
> I really am not sure about how to proceed for this big disk problem.
>
> Any ideas/links will really help.

Dell PERC 5/i "does" have an option to create multiple LUNs.
So, i have been quite moronic in not trying to apply logic initially.
As for now, i am creating a small "system" disk,
and multiple 500G "data" disks.

I do not really need to have 1 big partition for the data.

So this is a lot simpler setup i believe,
and no chance of hitting the 2T limit.

A big thanks to everyone who guided me, and my apologies if this
qualifies as a "waste of time" post.

This, for sure, is the best list i have ever experienced.

Thank you all again.

Regards,
A.S