[CentOS] Large scale Postfix/Cyrus email system for 100,000+ users

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Oct 25 03:25:35 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 10:30 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> >> Yeah, well, I guess the Fedora Directory server is unlikely to drop its
> >> entire datastore and will actually keep running but hey, are you going
> >> to migrate back to ldap if you have a system that is distributed across
> >> different mysql boxes running on cheap boxes and does its job?
> > ----
> > what I can't figure out is why you are asking questions when you have
> > already decided answers...in part based on experiences from 10 years
> > ago.
>
> Well, I do not work for that service provider anymore...I was just
> putting forth the question they would probably ask...
>
> In any case, the money for hardware stands I believe unless Fedora
> Directory/OpenLDAP has really good performance in a heavy read/write
> environment versus mysql.
----
Heck, I see lots of circles where they wouldn't trust mysql for an
enterprise application so it seems clear that you are not talking about
stability or performance but rather familiarity and the amount of trust
you have in what you know.

I would expect openldap to blow the doors off a mysql db but what do I
know? I deal in circles < 100 user accounts (small businesses).

Craig