[CentOS] Large scale Postfix/Cyrus email system for 100,000+ users

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 05:37:16 UTC 2007

Christopher Chan wrote:

>> Heck, I see lots of circles where they wouldn't trust mysql for an
>> enterprise application so it seems clear that you are not talking about
>> stability or performance but rather familiarity and the amount of trust
>> you have in what you know.
>
> Let's see, mysql crashes (elcheapo hardware, happens once in a while)
> but tables containing hundreds of thousands of rows survive intact on
> reboot.

Mysql is OK if you don't really need a relational database -
particularly if you can put everything in a single table at least for
the frequent queries.

> Could you do that with postgresql? Nah.

I don't recall ever having a problem with postgresql.

> Did I mention you can
> just copy myisam files to another box and even if it has another OS so
> long as they are on the same cpu platform and use it without trouble?

Don't see why that would be a problem for postgresql either as long as
the database wasn't running when you copied the file and the posgresql
revs were similar.

> I guess I should try to make a test against openldap/fedoraDS and see
> how they fare.

Even though I posted those performance benchmarks, I'd want to do some
serious testing before trusting it.  I've had my share of problems with
things based on Berkeley DB too, but perhaps those problems are fixed now.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com