[CentOS] Large scale Postfix/Cyrus email system for 100,000+ users

Christopher Chan christopher at ias.com.hk
Thu Oct 25 06:24:00 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Christopher Chan wrote:
>>
>>> Heck, I see lots of circles where they wouldn't trust mysql for an
>>> enterprise application so it seems clear that you are not talking about
>>> stability or performance but rather familiarity and the amount of trust
>>> you have in what you know.
>>
>> Let's see, mysql crashes (elcheapo hardware, happens once in a while)
>> but tables containing hundreds of thousands of rows survive intact on
>> reboot.
>
> Mysql is OK if you don't really need a relational database -
> particularly if you can put everything in a single table at least for
> the frequent queries.

Which is why I put 'simple table environment' in my comment.

>> Could you do that with postgresql? Nah.
>
> I don't recall ever having a problem with postgresql.

I guess the latest versions are more crash resilient. But still no
builtin replication.

>> Did I mention you can just copy myisam files to another box and even
>> if it has another OS so long as they are on the same cpu platform and
>> use it without trouble?
>
> Don't see why that would be a problem for postgresql either as long as
> the database wasn't running when you copied the file and the posgresql
> revs were similar.

For postgresql, you have to copy everything. For mysql, you can do
individual tables if you are using myisam tables.

>> I guess I should try to make a test against openldap/fedoraDS and see
>> how they fare.
>
> Even though I posted those performance benchmarks, I'd want to do some
> serious testing before trusting it.  I've had my share of problems with
> things based on Berkeley DB too, but perhaps those problems are fixed now.

If I do it, it would be just for my interest only as I no longer work
for that service provider.