[CentOS] Re: Using raid 1 for rollback purposes

James Olin Oden james.oden at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 21:28:33 UTC 2007

On 10/19/07, James Olin Oden <james.oden at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> For quite some time I've used raid 1 as a means of providing a
> rollback mechanism for an upgrade (which I learned from others long
> ago).  So essentially, before an upgrade you split the mirrors and
> upgrade one side or the other.  If your upgrade goes well you sync one
> way, if your upgrade does not you sync the other (much hand waving and
> chanting going on, as its more complicated than that, but that is the
> essence of the solution).
>
> Recently, I was asked to do the same thing but with a raid 1+0
> solution.  Its easy,
> enough to break the raid 1 volumes underneath, but then how do I use
> the broke off volumes to form the duplicate strip.  Pictures may help.
>  We start off looking like:
>
>  /----------- Raid 0 Volume ----------\
>  |    [disk 0]<---R 1--->[disk 2]    |
>  |                                            |
>  |    [disk 1]<---R 1--->[disk 3]    |
>  \--------------------------------------------/
>

> What we want to go to is:
>
>  /--- Raid 0 ---\       /--- Raid 0 ---\
>  |    [disk 0]   |       |    [disk 2]   |
>  |                  |       |                  |
>  |    [disk 1]   |       |    [disk 3]   |
>  \-----------------/       \------------------/
>     Old System       New System
>
> Is this possible with the current set of mdadm tools?
>
> Thanks...james

Hi All,

So after _much_ research I know how to do this.  What makes the whole
thing so difficult after you split the mirror, you now have a physical
volume with all the information for the volume group that lived in the
orignal multi-devices.  In other words you have meta-data that
conflicts regarding which multi-device it belongs to and in regards to
the uuid's of all its components.

What I basically ended up doing via various machinations was to modify
the LVM metadata such that the name of the volume group, its VG UUID,
and its PV UUID was changed.

So here is the basic process (for simplicity I have an md device (md1)
made up of
two members sda1 and sdb1, with a volume group vg1 on top of it, with
various logical volumes cut out of it):

   * Make sure the mirror is not syncing; if it is, wait until it
finishes syncing.
     This is done by examining /proc/mdstat.
   * Remount the filesystems on the volume group read only (mount -o
     ro,remount ...).
   * Split the mirror:

         mdadm --fail /dev/md1 /dev/sdb1
         mdadm --remove /dev/md1 /dev/sdb1

   * Create the new mirror:

         mdadm --create --level=2 --raid-devices=2 --run /dev/md2
/dev/sdb1 missing

   * Get a backup of the original volume groups meta-data:

         vgcfgbackup --file /tmp/vg1.meta /dev/vg1

   * Convert the backup file to have a new volume group name, new volume
     group UUID, new physcial volume UUID, and new multi-device for the
     physical volume.
   * Now recreate the physical volume metadata with the new UUID:

        pvcreate --uuid bL1zwN-ILoA-2src-4S4e-8MFy-UgY3-8GS2wN -ff /dev/md2

     Note, the --uuid option will cause it to not be destructive and
only replace
     metadata.
  * Restore the volume group metadata using the transformed backup:

        vgcfgrestore --file /tmp/vg1.meta /dev/vg2

   * Make the new volume group active:

        vgchange -a y /dev/vg1

At this point you now have both volume groups up and going and active
and they have an exact duplicate of their data.  I have tested this
with a simple case but not with a volume group containing the root
filesystem.  I'm pretty sure it would work in this case.

Thanks...james