[CentOS] public Key Problems after Centos 4 -> 5 update.

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sat Oct 27 10:11:59 UTC 2007

Robert Slade wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 03:11 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> Robert Slade wrote:

>>> To reply to my own post, the answer was obvious when I thought about it.
>>> It was looking for the GPG key downloaded and imported it and Bob's your
>>> uncle. Slightly puzzled that yum didn't automatically do it as per the
>>> documents though.
>> Maybe the CentOS-Base.repo file in your /etc/yum.repos.d/ is the one for
>> CentOS-4 and not CentOS-5.
>>
>> The only difference between the CentOS-4 and CentOS-5 repo files is the
>> key ... we have different keys for CentOS-4 and CentOS-5.
>>
>> By default, there are many CONFIG files that are not replaced if they
>> have been updated when you do normal upgrades.  In most cases, you will
>> instead get a file that is a replacement called <config-file-name>.rpmnew
>>
>> On an upgrade from CentOS-4 to CentOS-5, you will have MANY files named
>> .rpmnew that you will need to look at and you will need to modify the
>> appropriate config files that are currently in place (and designed for
>> CentOS-4) to work with CentOS-5.
>
> Johnny,
> Thanks for the pointer, I did have a CentOS-Base.repo.rmpnew file.
>
> I am still unsure what is happening with yum. I am getting this now:

> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/plugins.py:380: DeprecationWarning:
> registerOpt() will go away in a future version of Yum.
> Please manipulate config.YumConf and config.RepoConf directly.
>   DeprecationWarning)
>
> Unfortunately, the documenation on the web site for yum does not cover
> Centos5.

You may not have the latest version of yum or some of the plugins ....

Please do this command (all one line):

rpm -q yum python yum-metadata-parser yum-utils yum-protectbase
yum-plugin-protectbase

The results should be this for the latest versions:

yum-3.0.5-1.el5.centos.2
python-2.4.3-19.el5
yum-metadata-parser-1.0-8.fc6
yum-utils-1.0.4-2.el5.centos
yum-protectbase-1.0.4-2.el5.centos
package yum-plugin-protectbase is not installed

If you have yum-plugin-protectbase (and not yum-protectbase) installed,
you need to replace yum-plugin-protectbase ... that is the old version
from CentOs-4.

Also you need to review the plugins directories if you had any plugins
installed in CentOS-4 (/etc/yum and /etc/yum/pluginconf.d) to make sure
there are not any <file_name>.conf.rpmnew files.

You currently have installonlyn and protectbase enabled ... I would
recommend that you properly configure your CentOS-Base.repo to use
yum-priorities instead of yum-protectbase.

Also, if you are using the CentOS-Base.repo file and if you are using
the "mirrorlist" option instead of some specific "baseurl" mirrors, then
I would also recommend the yum-fastestmirror plugin.

Please see this link for plugin install and configuration:

http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum

BTW, upgrades are not normally clean.  I personally recommend that
people never upgrade, but instead backup their data and do a fresh
install, then move data over.  The upstream provider also recommends this:

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/ch-upgrade-x86.html

Read specifically the first four paragraphs under the title:

"23.1. Determining Whether to Upgrade or Re-Install"

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes