[CentOS] migrating files for centos virtualization, virtual disk no longer boots.

Rich Huff rich at richhuff.com
Sun Oct 28 13:45:20 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 13:50 -0400, Jerry Geis wrote:
> All,
>
> I am playing with virtualization on centos 5.
<snip>
> What is happening with the tar command that is messing up grub and
> keeping it from booting?

The master boot record (MBR) usually isn't contained in the file system,
so tar has no way of copying it.

I recently backed up a small laptop (not enough memory to install Linux,
but enough to run it) using g4l, then restored the g4l backup into a
qemu virtual disk image.  It wouldn't boot.  I had to connect a
distribution CD iso image, boot into rescue mode, then use the command

grub-install /dev/hda

to make it bootable.

Hope this helps,
Rich