[CentOS] Re: Boot Log Problems - more info

Robert Slade centos at likley.co.uk
Mon Oct 29 08:37:50 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 16:57 +0000, Robert Slade wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 12:16 -0400, Tom Diehl wrote:

> > > Both dmesg and boot.log do not have any entries from before the update.
> > >
> > > /var/log/messages appears to have normal entries ie from today but there
> > > are no error messages.
> > >
> > > I have checked syslog it is running
> >
> > Just a thought, rpm -V sysklogd. See what you get. Also have you run ckrootkit
> > or similar on the machine?
> >
> > I know you said this started after an update and most likely you are correct
> > but it is just a thought. You never know what kind of coincidence you might
> > run into.
>
> rpm -V sysklogd gave nothing, but rpm -q sysklogd gave:
>
> sysklogd-1.4.1-39.2
>
> Ran chkrootkit - nothing came up.
>
> Rob

After a lot of fiddling, I have managed to catch the original error I
was trying to investigate - I guess that this maybe the cause or
contributing to the missing logs.

Right after the interactive logon message (which doesn't work) the clock
is set then I get:

starting_udev: udev[485]:add_to_rules: invalid KERNEL operation
udev[485]:invalid_rule: /etc/udev/rules.d/90-ib rule:1
udev[485]:add_to_rules: invalid KERNEL operation
etc up to rule:7

The contents of 90-ib is:

KERNEL="umad*", NAME="infiniband/%k"
KERNEL="issm*", NAME="infiniband/%k"
KERNEL="ucm*", NAME="infiniband/%k", MODE="0666"
KERNEL="uverbs*", NAME="infiniband/%k", MODE="0666"
KERNEL="uat", NAME="infiniband/%k", MODE="0666"
KERNEL="ucma", NAME="infiniband/%k", MODE="0666"
KERNEL="rdma_cm", NAME="infiniband/%k", MODE="0666"

Rob