[CentOS] Systems management with "func" (new Fedora project)

Michael DeHaan

mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Oct 31 14:51:37 UTC 2007

There's a systems management app several of us are working on in Fedora
space many of you may be interested in...

https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/func/

Basically func is a way to address multiple-systems at once, like SSH,
but with much easier certificate distribution and pluggable XMLRPC
modules (written in Python), and easy scriptability.    Func's
certmaster can also be used to distribute certificates to other programs
for use in their communications.   You can read more on the project page.

There are some interesting demo apps bundled with it, like an inventory
application (that uses git for storing differences), and a script which
can tell you which computers on your network have exploding laptop
batteries :)    There are also some neat modules that can gather data
from nagios plugins without having to actually have nagios installed.

Anyhow, if you are interested, check out the project page and join the
mailing list.    We have func already submitted to Fedora, it should be
in EPEL shortly, and if someone wants to include this in CentOS testing
that's great too.   We are very interested in people contributing new
modules and scripts for things they find interesting/useful.

Feedback/ideas/comments welcome.

Thanks!

--Michael