[CentOS] tftp on centos 5

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Oct 31 21:23:29 UTC 2007

Jerry Geis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have setup tftp on centos 4 before an it worked.
>
> I am not setting up tftp on centos 5.
> I have added many -v -v -v -v to the tftp config file.
> /var/log/messages shows me connection from the IP address - but no
> errors.
> My client eventually times out as the file is not being provided.
>
> It works by the way on localhost, just not from a client. selinux is
> turned off.
>
> I iptables turned off.
> tftp is running and my files are in /tftpboot
> everything is read accesss.
>
> I did the yum install tftp-server as normal.
>
> Nothing is in my hosts.allow and hosts.deny
>
> why might my client be timing out...
>
> Thanks,
> Jerry

It sounds like /var/log/messages indicates DHCP success, but you still
might not have TFTP set up correctly ... possibly a wrong next-server
address in the DHCP
configuration file?  Is /tftpboot structured correctly?  Is tftp enabled
for xinetd.d (it's usually off by default)?   There are lots of things
that could be going on.

Something like Cobbler (http://cobbler.et.redhat.com/)* might help you
with netboot setup if you aren't sure exactly what is up, and at least
covers 90% of those
kinds of setup problems.   Getting the IP addresses right/DHCP, etc, is
still up to you ... but it helps some with that.

* = disclaimer:  wrote it

--Michael