[CentOS] Zimbra vs. Scalix vs. et. al.

Tronn Wærdahl

tronnw at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 10:01:42 UTC 2007

Open-Xchange is a nice one, It could be painfull to install so I have  put
together a CD, based on CentOS 44 with OX and lost more, you will be up and
running in about 30 minutts

You may find more information on my website http://www.nnortux.no
Click on the flag to get some information in english

I have made one with CentOS 5 allso, but at the moment, my impression is
that CentOS 5 is a bit inmature, lots of the modules dont work, so until I
got all modules working try it with CentOS 4.4

Enjoy

Tronn

On 8/31/07, John Hinton <webmaster at ew3d.com> wrote:

> Well, I stumbled onto zimbra....
>
> I have a Scallix system built, but still have some rough edges to try to
> smooth. Like the way it works with sendmail, no dnsbl's will work as
> sendmail sees all mail as coming from locohost (scalix). Still battling
> that one which is when I ran across Zimbra.
>
> So, this made me start wondering.
>
> Are there other exchange server-like products out there?
>
> Has anyone dealt with Scalix and Zimbra (or another from the question
> above) and would you care to post pros and cons to each?
>
> Some of the cons to me with Scalix.
>
> It uses it's own directory structure which is non-sensical to any admin.
> Each seems to be assigned on a numbering system.. finding who has what
> where is not fun and I fear will be a nightmare in the future. Sendmail
> milters work fine to a point, but there is the limit of filtering using
> dnsbl's and it appears it will require setting up sendmail as the
> receiver, passing to scalix, passing back to sendmail, passing back to
> scalix and the user mail boxes... adding an extra loop.
>
> Shared folder are nice.. shared calendars are pretty good although I
> don't see a way to sort by user are even really see immediately for
> which user the event exists. You can drag and drop from Outlook IMAP a
> file directly to the server, but internally we don't use outlook... but
> for other clients this could be nice.
>
> So, how are those Zimbra installs going and what's the scoop?
>
> Thanks,
> John Hinton

"The box said: Requires MS Windows or better, so I installed Linux"