[CentOS] OT: 4 dual cores agains 2 quad cores

Peter Farrow peter at farrows.org
Sat Sep 1 12:28:54 UTC 2007

Fundamentally it comes down to I/O performance between the CPU cores and
memory bus.

Quad core CPUs suffer from performance bottlenecks with regard to Dual
cores which leads to a less of an improvement than one might expect from
clock speed alone

There are articles here worth a read:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/10/four_cores_on_the_rampage/

As has already been mentioned, if you have four sockets to fill you
might as well fill it with Quad cores anyway....

You might find this useful too:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/08/08/extreme_fsb_2/

Regards

Pete