[CentOS] need help on second Ethernet port (eth1) point to point connect

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sun Sep 2 17:52:46 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-02 at 13:40 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 23:21 +0800, mcclnx mcc wrote:
> ><snip>

> Regardless, the others were right: you *did* need a crossover *until*
> you put an auto-sensing switch into the mix. I have one of these on my

s/auto-sensing/(possibly auto-sensing)/

Auto-sensing allows using either straight or cross-over cables to be
used (among other functions) and automatically "corrects" TX/RX to match
the cable used. A straight cable to a switch is the norm and doesn't
need auto-sensing.

For *most* E'net cards w/o an intervening switch/hub, cross-over would
be needed though, as others have said.

--
Bill