[CentOS] Why CentOS as a webhosting platform

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Sep 6 12:34:47 UTC 2007

Hi,

CentOS seems to be doing really well in the hosting business these days, and
even for people who would normally have used Windows or OSX on the hosting
previously, are now looking at using CentOS. And I thought it would be nice to
have a section on the wiki about exactly why that is.

Not having any direct connection with the hosting business I was wondering if
people here could help me out a bit and let me know why they think CentOS is
good / bad as a platform in this market segment.

I suppose that would include dedicated hosting, VPS hosting, Shared / Virtual
hosting, and even high performance grid hosting that a few people seem to be
offering these days.

Once we have some material here in this thread, everything will go online at the
wiki ( with due credit to all contributors ).