[CentOS] Re: rootpw and graphical mode?

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Fri Sep 7 18:26:08 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 11:17:18AM -0700, semi linux wrote:
> it and trying to kickstart from it - no change.  (I thought  there was
> only one right answer, but if I reset my password and type the same
> thing, the crypted string changes slightly everytime.)

Traditionally, a password can be encrypted using crypt() in 4096 different
ways; the first two characters indicate which one of the 4096 versions
was used.

In modern unix systems stronger methods than the old DES crypt() version
can be used.

> The only thin I can think of is that maybe my crypted password
> contains an escape sequence that might not be properly handled in
> anaconda?

The traditional crypt strings are from a limited set 64 characters and
are always 13 characters long.  GNU libc can use md5 based encryption
(the first 3 characters are $1$ and are up to 34 characters in length)
but are still from the character set  [a-zA-Z0-9./]

--

rgds
Stephen