[CentOS] Performance of CentOS as a NAT gateway

Bart Schaefer barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 17:29:57 UTC 2007

On 9/9/07, Robert - elists <lists07 at abbacomm.net> wrote:
> What switch is it?

LinkSys Etherfast, a couple of years old now (I'd have to go to our
colocation site to look in the cabinet to get the exact model).  it's
a plain dumb switch, no management interface.

> Evidentally, there much be a switch on the virtualized eth0:x side too...
> are you in control of that?

The other side is a high-end Cisco router managed by our ISP.  Its
their router statistics that tell us we're peaking at just over 10Mb/s
coming out of the gateway box.  That was where we first assumed the
problem must be, so we've been working with them on this problem for
some while now and have pretty definitely eliminated their equipment
as the bottleneck.

> Are you aggregating your upstreams on one Ethernet link?

Yes, but our bandwidth needs are well below the capacity of that link.
 It's just that at peak times we need more than is making it through.