[CentOS] LVM problem

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sun Sep 9 19:53:25 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 23:13 +0800, Kuang-Chun Cheng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have CentOS 5.0 which use an old hard disk.   And recently I found
> there are some bad sector on it ... I try to backup my data to other
> CentOS 5.0 box ....
>
> What I did is.  I remove the old HD (with bad sector) and install it as
> a slave IDE on a working CentOS 5.0 ... I try to mount the old HD as
> /mnt/oldDisk but since it's a LVM, the "mount -t ext3" doesn't work.
>
> I'm new to LVM ... could someone help me on this.
>
> Also, there is a problem I found.   Both HD have the
> same VG called /dev/VolGroup00 ...
>
> server:[root]/dev> pvscan
>   PV /dev/hdb2   VG VolGroup00   lvm2 [76.22 GB / 0    free]
>   PV /dev/hda2   VG VolGroup00   lvm2 [76.22 GB / 0    free]
>   Total: 2 [152.44 GB] / in use: 2 [152.44 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0   ]
>

> where the /dev/hdb2 is the old one with bad sector ... and it's unmounted.
> The /dev/hda2 is the root filesystem of the working CentOS 5.0
>

> Regards
> KC
> <snip sig stuff>

Put it back in the original box, use lvm export, put in the new box, lvm
import. I have successfully done it like you started, but I had to
jigger and rename the "foreign" HD, IIRC. I'd have to experiment to
recall what/how I did it then.

BTW, don't be afraid to RTFM on LVM. There's lots of useful stuff.

HTH
--
Bill