[CentOS] Re: ext3 inode and journal limitation

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sun Sep 9 20:02:44 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 14:11 -0700, Scott Silva wrote:
> Centos spake the following on 9/7/2007 1:38 PM:
> > I have another question.
> > if I mount a filesystem on root partition,
> > is inodes on mounted file system is going to be added to root inodes ?

If you mean you mount the FS over /, you lose access to the real root
when new apps start. A mount "hides" all items under the mounted upon
directory. Existing apps may be able to access these hidden ones, I'm
not sure, since they have open files in the underlying structures
already.

If you mean you are mounting on some directory in the root file system
other than /, a very common scenario, there is no problem. As Scott
said, FS info is unique to each partition and they are additive *except*
as they "hide" everything contained within the directuroy upon which you
mount the FS. You effectively lose access to the hidden stuff by *new*
processes (unless they inherit open file descriptors for the hidden
stuff I think).

--
Bill