[CentOS] Re: rpm spec files for ruby

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue Sep 11 16:58:13 UTC 2007

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> To find out exactly what is going on, look at the bit which creates
> the .files that are then used in the %files section to workout what
> which files go into what rpm. There would be an overlap there.

Given this snippet:

%files -f ruby.files
%files devel -f ruby-devel.files

I speculate (since the rpm manual is not very helpful on the matter) that
if --target= is not specified then the first file command will execute but
not the third and include all of the files listed in ruby.files only
whereas if --target=devel is specified to the rpmbuild command then the
first and second commands will execute and include the contents of
ruby.files and ruby-devel.files.

Is my understanding of this correct or in what matter is it defective?

Regards,

Canada  L8E 3C3