[CentOS] Unable to POST after suspend

B.J. McClure keepertoad at verizon.net
Tue Sep 11 17:13:12 UTC 2007

> On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 13:19 +0000, gjgowey at tmo.blackberry.net wrote:
> > I have one idea that may work.  Try seeing if your bios supports a
> bios upgrade floppy (it would say so in the owners manual).  Now by
> bios upgrade floppy I don't mean the usual type that use an os.  There
> are some that the bios will directly read from without an os being
> used.  The concept is to recover from failed bios upgrades.  The
> reason I suggest this is because I think the setting that's keeping
> your system off is hiding in your bios' acpi table and I don't think a
> bios reset will dump it, but a bios upgrade might.
>
> My motherboard do support such BIOS upgrades (really nice since it's
> OS
> independent) but you need to get to the POST before you can ask it to
> search for the floppy.
>
> But it won't power on at all. The CPU FAN doesn't start, the disk
> doesn't rotate, the monitor doesn't get any signal. The only thing
> that
> indicates the slightest sign of life is the LED on the motherboard and
> my keyboard if I press Num Lock.
>
> Is there something on the motherboard I can disconnect to reset the
> ACPI
> table?

Seems to me there is room to suspect a hardware issue instead of acpi.
I would confirm power supply connector to mainboard by removing and
reinserting until properly seated.  Also would confirm two wires from
power button on case/chassis are correctly connected to proper pin
terminals at edge of mainboard.  If still no joy, would swap a known
good power supply.  If that fails, you might try removing the power
switch leads from the pin terminal strip and use a phillips screwdriver
blade or other appropriate tool to short the proper pins momentarily to
start the beast.  I have replaced three bad power switches in the recent
few years, so they do fail.

Cheers,
B.J.

CentOS 5.0, Linux 2.6.18-8.1.8.el5 x86_64 12:06:49 up 1 day, 6:14, 2
users, load average: 0.03, 0.05, 0.07