[CentOS] Very strange problem i have faced in my 2 years carrier

umair shakil

umairshakeel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 06:25:27 UTC 2007

Dear Concerns,

I would like to share a very strange problem. I am from Pakistan/Islamabad.
Last month i was on trainning
from Askari Bank Limited (Juniper). Here in Askari i m running NMS--> MRTGs
using CentOs 4.4. On trainning i recieved
a call from collique saying

 "when i "su -l" NMS says "root user doesnot exist". and also MRTGs not
working. well i was amazed how was it
possible. In the Evening i came back to office. I boot the machine in single
user mode and type the command;

less /etc/passwd

here when i found that user root existed, but the only thing that was
amazing is;

the spelling of root was changed from "root" to "R00t". i changed to "root"
and every thing worked.

I want to ask, what is this, this doesnot seem a garbage value or nor
corruption of passwd file. only showing someone changes this. Here we have
bank private network, only two people have access  for it  me and  another
guy.

what are your opinions??????

Please also share your strange experience.

Regards,

Umair Shakil
Askari bank Limited