[CentOS] RE: php 5.2

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Sep 12 11:19:47 UTC 2007

Melinda Odom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> seems to have a lot of security fixes:
> http://www.php.net/ChangeLog-5.php#5.2.0
>
> Version 5.2.0 was orginally released 02-Nov-2006.
>
> What is the process and time frame for released software to be available in
> an operating system?  I am not familiar with this.

php-5.2 will most likely not ever be included in CentOS-3,4,5 ... it
will probably be in CentOS-6 on release.

Enterprise software does not upgrade major software versions for
critical components ... it instead provides security updates and bugfix
updates to the components it ships with.

The upstream provider will roll in updates that they want using a
process called backporting.  See this explanation:

http://tinyurl.com/r77l2

Remember, changing ABI/API's and other function calls breaks software
already developed for an enterprise and enterprise level software is
designed to NOT do that.

It is possible that CentOS might (at some point) include php-5.2.0 in
the CentOSPlus repository
<http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories/CentOSPlus> for CentOS-5 ...
probably not for CentOS-4 or CentOS-3 though.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes