[CentOS] Accidentally removed glibc & glibc-devel :: Help

Toby Bluhm tkb at MidwestInstruments.com
Wed Sep 12 12:13:48 UTC 2007

geekylucas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I attempted to ugprade glibc & glibc-devel and ended up removing them
> entirely by accident.  *idiot*
>
> What are the steps needed to get glibc back onto my system.
> Absolutely nothing is working at the moment, rpm, yum, etc.  I presume
> I'm going to have to boot from a rescue CD of some kind.
>
> If someone could outline how to do this, or point me to some docs I
> would be most grateful.  (CentOS 4.3)

Copy the rpms you need to reinstall onto another rpm type system - any
somewhat current rpm type distro will do. Run rpm2cpio to extract the
rpm into a cpio package. Take that cpio pkg to your busted machine and
cpio extract the files. Things should then work OK. You should then be
able to force rpm install the real rpm.

I've done this twice, a whacked rpm and glibc -
always used / as the working dir on the busted machine. Worked like a charm.

--
Toby Bluhm
Midwest Instruments Inc.