[CentOS] Kickstart install surprise

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 20:12:28 UTC 2007

I suppose it would help if I finished the reply before sending.....

On 9/12/07, Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com> wrote:

> I have been installing Linux systems for well over a decade, starting with
> Caldera Network Desktop 1.0, all versions of Caldera through 2001, and SuSE
> from 8.1 through SLES10, and never have I seen an installation procedure
> that would write to anything on the hard drive without asking first.

The whole idea behind kickstart is that it does not ask questions.
It's for automated installs. Think pxe setup, or a computer lab, or
hundreds of identical workstations. Why answer questions on all of
them, when you can automate the process and go get a coffee?

> This certainly violates the Principle of Least Surprise.
Not really. The tool works as expected. You're just unfamiliar with it.
Not trying to sound snippy with this, so please don't take it this way.

George Orwell