[CentOS] Re: Re: xdm

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Fri Sep 14 16:56:02 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 11:12 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 06:56 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
>
> >> That's the right setting, but you (sometimes) need to completely restart
> >> X (or maybe only kdm?) for any changes in Xaccess to take effect.
> > ----
> > I wasn't sure how to restart kdm so I did a yum update and rebooted and
> > will be in the office in an hour or so and will try it.
> >
> > I presume that there was some way to send a SIGHUP to the kdm process to
> > restart it but I lacked the knowledge on how to do that.
>
> The method I use to restart X is usually:
> login (to console) as root
> telinit 3
> telinit 5
> logout
----
yeah, I had that option but it had been a long time since I rebooted and
several new kernels had been installed in the interim.

in this case, this was a fairly heavily used server and telinit
3/telinit 5 might have made users using the Application Server
(apache/rubyOnRails/postgreSQL/etc) pretty unhappy

--
Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>