[CentOS] Apache 2.2.3 ETag weirdness.

Flaherty, Patrick

pflaherty at wsi.com
Sat Sep 15 00:01:01 UTC 2007

I'm looking to clarify this entry I found in a changelog(line 2062ish) on a CentOS 5 box for Apache 2.2.3

  *) mod_include no longer allows an ETag header on 304 responses.
     PR 19355. [Geoffrey Young <geoff apache.org>, André Malo]

Loading the mod_include module prevents any ETags headers from being sent from the box. If I comment out mod_include, ETags are sent as expected. CentOS 4 2.0.59 with mod_include does not show the same behavior, and ETags are sent both with and without mod_include loaded.

If anyone can tell me the correct behavior, and if I need to file a bug I'd apreciate it. My assumption was anyfiles with an <!--- include ---> statement would not get an ETag, but regular html without includes would be fine.

Best
Patrick