[CentOS] Server Virtualization

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Tue Sep 18 00:25:56 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 11:20 +1200, Clint Dilks wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I work for a school in a New Zealand university and we are wanting to
> implement Server Virtualization for both CentOS and Windows systems.  So
> I thought I would ask here what experience people have had with this and
> what issues that you all think should be considered?
>
>  From my own research it seems that VMWare or Xen are really the two
> major products to be considered, are there any others I should be
> considering ?

Those are probably the top contenders.

> Is anyone running Linux "Guest" O/S's inside a Windows host ??  And if
> so can you share your reasons for this?

No.  If there are reasons, they are beyond my understanding.  :-)

> Anyway thank you for your time and any experiences / knowledge you are
> willing to share :)

I use VMware Server & Workstation - primarily for testing new Linux
releases and for running Windows apps under Linux.  Have run some
services for testing purposes and find performance and functionality to
be pretty good.

You may want to join the new CentOS Virtualization list to find a more
targeted audience: