[CentOS] Central file server advice please

John Bowden

j-alan at btconnect.com
Thu Sep 20 21:58:27 UTC 2007

Hi List
I have a Gygabyte GA-7N400 PRO2 with a 2.6 mHz Athlon cpu. I want to set up a
central file storage for 2/3 users using 6/7 machines. A mixture of win2k, XP
and various Linux distros (my home network). It will be used to store files,
(docs, music and DVD ) for all of these machines, print server, (two
ink-jets), mail server and later on  a myth tv set up. Would SAMBA be the
best option for the file and print serving ?
The mother board has 2 X IDE channels, 2 X IDE channels with raid and 2 X SATA
raid channels, that's up to 10 hard drive devices. The IDE raid chip is a
GigaRaid IT8212F chipset. It supports raid 0 or raid 1 and raid 0 + 1 and
JBOD. The SATA raid is a Silicon Image Sil3512. It supports Raid 0 or 1.
Would I get better speed performance using the chips to manage the raid or
using software raid?
Oh and I will be using the CentOS 5 install dvd. Any advice from the list
would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance, John
--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)