[CentOS] named & rndc

Robert Spangler lazydog at zoominternet.net
Sat Sep 22 00:56:00 UTC 2007

On Fri September 21 2007 18:50, Craig White wrote:

>  [root at srv1 etc]# kill 26598
>  [root at srv1 etc]# service named restart
>  Stopping named:                                            [FAILED]
>  Starting named:                                            [  OK  ]

After you have killed named start it with 'start' not 'restart'.

>  if I try...
>  # service named status
>  rndc: connection to remote host closed
>  This may indicate that the remote server is using an older version of
>  the command protocol, this host is not authorized to connect,
>  or the key is invalid.
>
>  but looking at my named.conf, I'm directly including rndc.key
>  # grep rndc named.conf
>          inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { DYNAMIC_DNS_KEY;
>  rndc.key; };
>  include "/etc/rndc.key";

This doesn't look right.  My control section in named.conf is :

controls {
        inet 127.0.0.1 allow { any; }
        keys { rndc-key; };

No need for 'include '.  Your rndc.conf should also be located in your
chroot /etc dir.

Take notice to what is in between {} in the keys statement.  This has to match
what is in your rndc.conf file.

server localhost {
        key     "rndc-key";
};