[CentOS] install freezes at partition layout

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sun Sep 23 15:37:02 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 14:22 -0700, Barry Schiffman wrote:
> I'm trying to install centos 5 on an old machine, a
> Micron with a pentium III and 250 megs of ram. I'm
> using the DVD image.
>
> The media check said the DVD was OK.
>
> Everything starts fine (both in graphics and text
> modes),  untl I get to the custom partition table. The
> new system will go on hda, with the boot and root
> partition reformatted (see below). I laid it out to
> preserve the data on /home and another two partitions
> with a lot of data on each.  One of these is mounted
> as /proj but Anaconda shows it as a giant swap
> partition.

I don't know if this is your problem, but check here

   http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.0/

under known problems and here *may* apply

    http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=1232

although it references CentOS 4.

More:

    http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/report.php?
forum=27&topic_id=8031&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&post_id=25410

what led me to find these is that ISTR several posts specifying that a
text install takes 256MB and graphical needs 512MB. Although I googled
(only a reasonable amount) with "site:centos.org", I didn't find the
threads I remembered.

Maybe if you google it, you'll have better luck. Anyway, I hope you have
good luck on the install.

> <snip>

FWIW, I have successfully installed CentOS 4 on and AMD K6 w/256MB ram.
You might want to do that and then upgrade to 5.0.

<warning>
ISTR that upgrade 4.x->5.0 was not a straightforward process. Several
threads exist about that and (IIRC) one nice community member has posted
a step-by-step (in the wiki?).
</warning>

Anyway, google, check the wiki, etc. I'm sure you can get where you want
to be.

HTH
--
Bill