[CentOS] X11 virtual screens on centos 5

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sun Sep 23 18:37:14 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 21:48 -0400, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 21:40 -0400, Jerry Geis wrote:
> > ><snip>

> There exists a command-line command to do this as well, 'chvt' which
> is part of the kbd package.

I want to add openvt, just for completeness and because it lets me get
really greedy about VTs. With default of 6 (*usually* more than enough)
and occasional need for more, I can then use 7->24(? unless default X is
running, then 8->*). Since I don't have to login to the new terminal
screens, it satisfies my laziness gene.

BTW, I meant to mention earlier, that when in virtual terminals on the
console, a nice little feature is rotation through the virtual terminals
provided by the <ALT>-<LEFT | RIGHT> key combos. Of course, when you
encounter the X terminal, you'll need to use the <CTL>-<ALT> key with a
function key to leave there.

I'm not sure when this next thing would be useful, but another thing
that I think has a high degree of "coolity" is that I can "openvt" from
an X terminal and work in the standard (usually 80x25) console screen.

... Oh wait! When my old eyes get tired of squinting (sometimes even
virtual workspaces with a lower screen resolution and larger fonts don't
seem to prevent eye strain after long hours), I find the standard 80x25
very soothing and restful. Since I prefer CLI anyway, ...

It's probably just preconditioning since I "grew up" on these types of
screens. But I am getting more comfortable with the X stuff.

--
Bill