[CentOS] question on "yum --enablerepo=centos "

Rogelio Bastardo

scubacuda at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 22:38:25 UTC 2007

I'm installing Fruity for Nagios using the 4.4 Single Server CD and want
to force upgrade PHP 4 to PHP 5 without having to upgrade everything on
CentOSplus.

In order to install Nagios, I have to first enable RPMforge.  However,
to use Fruity, I have to use PHP 5, which isn't included in the RPMforge
repository, unless I enable CentOSplus and yum update/upgrade everything
(which I did eventually, just to get everything working).

While in 4.x, I tried to enable *just* PHP with a command (something
like) the following:

	yum --enablerepo=centosplus upgrade php*

After doing so, however, I got all these errors saying that it couldn't
update it b/c other things were needing updating (Pear, I think, was one
of them). Perhaps this had to do with me installing RPMforge and using
protect-plugins.

Is there a way to force an update of, say, PHP and have also force an
update on everything directly needed to install PHP?  I don't mind
everything directly associated to the one package I need being updated,
but I'd prefer to peg the other programs and not let them update.