[CentOS] Re: [tools] Why FC Packages in Centos Repository?

Dag Wieers

dag at wieers.com
Mon Sep 24 15:34:19 UTC 2007

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007, John Lee wrote:

> Just curious, but why are there Fedora packages in Centos5 base
> repository? (i.e. blahblah.fc6.rpm)  Are they compatible with CentOS?

That is a very good questions and I personally veel very sad that Red Hat
chose to do this.

RHEL5 (and CentOS 5) are based on development done on Fedora Core 6. Red
Hat started off with Fedora Core 6 when creating RHEL5. After some
considerable QA, they were stuck with packages from Fedora Core 6 that
were tagged with fc6 and were not rebuild for RHEL5, but verbatim copied
from FC6.

Because they did not want to recompile and retag these packages, because
it required them to redo QA, they chose to ship RHEL5 with the verbatim
Fedora Core 6 packages.

As a result, CentOS chose to keep the original package names, including
the fc6 tag for maximum compatibility. Even when it is confusing as hell !

Be aware though that the fc6-tagged packages in RHEL5 are verbatim copied
packages from Fedora Core 6, but that on CentOS 5 the fc6-tagged packages
are newly rebuild packages on a CentOS 5 system.

CentOS 5 (in contract to RHEL5) is completely self-hosting and CentOS is
particularly proud of this. We actually did what Red Hat failed to do.
But we have the legacy fc6-tag from RHEL5.

I hope this clears it up.

PS This also means that some, but not all the Fedora Core 6 packages work
on RHEL5. That is one of the confusing parts of reality. In all cases you
are better off with el5-tagged packages than fc6-tagged packages.