[CentOS] NFS issue

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Tue Sep 25 13:28:40 UTC 2007

Peter Arremann wrote:

> On Monday 24 September 2007, Steven Haigh wrote:
> > Quoting Dan <likuidkewl at gmail.com>:
> > NFS uses the user ID of the user (UID) for permissions. You
> will need
> > to have the correct permissions on each system, and the correct
> > username associated with the same UID on each machine.
> >
> > If you are running multiple systems, I would suggest
> looking into NIS.
> > This will allow you to create the accounts in NIS and have them use
> > the same details on each machine.
>
> Good answer but I can't agree on the NIS part.. NIS is plain
> text over the
> network and is deprecated for a long time. Sun is talking
> about dropping
> support, HP the same and even in the Linux camp there is some
> talk about
> taking NIS support out of the standard distributions.
> Add to that the fact that ldap is becoming easier and easier
> to set up, you
> should probably look that way...

NIS doesn't have to contain passwords, you can use Kerberos for
authentication and still use NIS for user information, if you are
worried about user names and uids going across in the clear you can
use NIS+ and TLS.

Improperly secured LDAP can have the same security issues as NIS.

I would use whichever method works best for you, NIS or LDAP. You will
find that a lot of the LDAP implementations are highly customized to
each site, so figuring out what to use and what not to use can be a
challenge, while NIS is pretty much standardized.

I would use Kerberos for passwords though irrespective of the choice
to use LDAP or NIS.

-Ross