[CentOS] CentOS-5 Hardware Probe

James B. Byrne

byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue Sep 25 21:11:25 UTC 2007

I installed CentOS-5 on a test machine, a P4 1.8 Ghz Compaq Evo D510
series.  This was a clean install onto a new disk drive and everything
went well.  After updating with YUM and installing Postgresql, Rails for
Ruby, Firefox-2 and Thunderbird I shutdown and restarted the system
several times without incident.

I then pulled the CD-ROM and replaced it with an LG-DVD DVD-RAM/RW device.
I also swapped the PS/2 Kb and mouse for USB versions. When I rebooted the
system I entered the bios setup and reconfigured for the new device.
However, subsequently, Centos bootup has now entered an endless loop.
Pluse neither the USB nor the PS/2 kb seem to work after a certain point.

On Centos-4 I recall doing exactly the same thing and all that happened
was that Kudzu ran during the boot procedure, prompted for the
configuration changes and everything went on swimingly. I just verified
this behaviour by swapping in a CentOS-4.5 disk on this machine and Kudzu
came up, reported on all the config changes, accepted the responses and it
booted with the DVD and USB devices installed

What is happening in CentOS-5? Is there no hardware probe at startup?  Is
there some switch that I need to set?  I can boot from the CD-ROM on this
machine using the LG-DVD but not from the hard drive.  Switching back to
the original CD-ROM device did not alleviate the problem either so I am at
a loss as to what is happening.

As I am a digest subscriber the favour of a direct copy of any reply to
the list is requested.

Sincerely,

Canada  L8E 3C3