[CentOS] remote tar via ssh

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 21:30:59 UTC 2007

ann kok wrote:
> Hi Les
>
> I am trying to use rsync
>
> 1/ Are both machine to have rsync installed?

Yes, and the remote side needs ssh access.

> 2/ machine A#rsync -essh machineB:/ .
> I try this command but what wrong I am
>
> rsync -essh root at machineB:/ .
> skipping directory /.
> client: nothing to do: perhaps you need to specify
> some filenames or the --recursive option?

Sorry - the command should really be more like:
rsync -essh -av root at machineB:/ .

If you specify a directory as the target, you must specify recursive
also, but '-a' is a special option that includes many of the other
options, including recursion.   You probably also want --one-file-system
  or some --excludes to avoid taking /proc, though.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com