[CentOS] DNS in CentOS

vincenzo romero new2xen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 22:22:10 UTC 2008

thanks for the response!

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Is this supposed to have something to do with either company.com or
>  lab.company.com?  It doesn't.  And is there some reason you only want
>  the forwarder to only handle one zone?

my bad a typo .. it is :

zone "company.com." IN {
              type forward;
              forwarders {    10.100.1.24 port 53;
};

I want any other queries that lab.company.com is not authoritative
for, to go to the Name Server of company.com.

I did try now to edit a test machine so that its resolv.conf file shows:

search lab.company.com company.com
nameserver 192.168.17.2
nameserver 10.100.1.24

1.  I can ping, and do host <hostname> and ip address
2.  nslookup <hostname> resolves ..
3.  but nslookup IPaddress returns with a listing of ROOT servers:

nslookup 10.100.1.24
Server:         192.168.17.2
Address:        192.168.17.2#53

Non-authoritative answer:
24.1.100.10.in-addr.arpa        name = ns.company.com.

.       nameserver = l.root-servers.net.
.       nameserver = m.root-servers.net.
.       nameserver = a.root-servers.net.
.       nameserver = b.root-servers.net.
.       nameserver = c.root-servers.net.
.       nameserver = d.root-servers.net.
.       nameserver = e.root-servers.net.
.       nameserver = f.root-servers.net.
.       nameserver = g.root-servers.net.
.       nameserver = h.root-servers.net.
.       nameserver = i.root-servers.net.
.       nameserver = j.root-servers.net.
.       nameserver = k.root-servers.net.

i think i'm almost there ..

-thanks again in advance.

>  --
>    Les Mikesell