[CentOS] DNS in CentOS

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 22:57:02 UTC 2008

vincenzo romero wrote:
> thanks for the response!
>
> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Is this supposed to have something to do with either company.com or
>>  lab.company.com?  It doesn't.  And is there some reason you only want
>>  the forwarder to only handle one zone?
>>

> my bad a typo .. it is :
>
> zone "company.com." IN {
>               type forward;
>               forwarders {    10.100.1.24 port 53;
> };

> I want any other queries that lab.company.com is not authoritative
> for, to go to the Name Server of company.com.

That happens anyway if the forwarder is not authoritative - that is, the
forwarder will act as a caching proxy.

> I did try now to edit a test machine so that its resolv.conf file shows:
>
> search lab.company.com company.com
> nameserver 192.168.17.2
> nameserver 10.100.1.24
>
> 1.  I can ping, and do host <hostname> and ip address
> 2.  nslookup <hostname> resolves ..
> 3.  but nslookup IPaddress returns with a listing of ROOT servers:
>
> nslookup 10.100.1.24
> Server:         192.168.17.2
> Address:        192.168.17.2#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> 24.1.100.10.in-addr.arpa        name = ns.company.com.

Does this zone file have an NS record for the server that answers?

> Authoritative answers can be found from:
> .       nameserver = l.root-servers.net.
> .       nameserver = m.root-servers.net.
> .       nameserver = a.root-servers.net.
> .       nameserver = b.root-servers.net.
> .       nameserver = c.root-servers.net.
> .       nameserver = d.root-servers.net.
> .       nameserver = e.root-servers.net.
> .       nameserver = f.root-servers.net.
> .       nameserver = g.root-servers.net.
> .       nameserver = h.root-servers.net.
> .       nameserver = i.root-servers.net.
> .       nameserver = j.root-servers.net.
> .       nameserver = k.root-servers.net.

It's not really polite to send private IP reverse lookups to the public
root servers, but I suppose millions of places do...

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com