[CentOS] how to check the version of centos

dnk d.k.emaillists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 15:03:32 UTC 2008

I seem to remember reading a release note somewhere that the way
centos 5 worked now was that the /etc/redhat-releases would not
reflect properly (man I wish I could find the reference to that).

And that you needed to do something like:

rpm -qa centos-release

For example on one of my systems, I do:
cat /etc/redhat-release

I get:

CentOS release 5 (Final)

But I know for sure that this system is a 5.1

So When i run the:

rpm -qa centos-release

I get:

centos-release-5-1.0.el5.centos.1