[CentOS] yum dependency problem

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sat Apr 5 10:07:54 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

<snip>

> Probably because "rpm -e {package name}" and "yum remove {package name}"
> does different things.
>
> I'd suggest run yum remove openoffice.org-core && yum clean all

They don't really do different things to the rpm database.

yum erase/remove will ALSO solve for and remove dependencies (other
things that need to be removed that depend on the packages you want to
remove).

HOWEVER ... yum is nothing more than a depsolver and front end that uses
rpm to do it's actions, so it is NOT different that rpm -e (it uses rpm
-e) when removing files.