[CentOS] DKMS

Alan Bartlett ajb.stxsl at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 5 19:02:08 UTC 2008

On 05/04/2008, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On the command line, if you saved the commands - or got them from an
> instructional listing in the first place, you just paste the same set of
> commands into a terminal window.

Three comments from me:

(1) Regarding what Les wrote (above), I can say that the three Wiki "Kernel"
HowTos have been written in such a way that the command lines shown in those
articles *can* be copied (from a GUI) and pasted (into a CLI/TUI). I'm sure
that same is true for many other WIki articles.

(2) We must not loose sight of what CentOS basically is. CentOS == RHEL less
RH. A stable, server orientated OS. On the fora, we often see evidence that
CentOS is believed to be similar to *other* distros (that are more suitable
for laptops & "home" use) and that it, CentOS, can be loaded onto typical
laptops or home PCs. Then the grumbling starts about the non-operation of a
bottom-of-the-range NIC or video controller or how multi-media doesn't work
straight out of the box. The complaints that really irritate me are those
that end with ". . . . whilst 'foo' (or 'bar' or 'xyzzy' or 'y2') runs o.k.
on my hardware. So why doesn't CentOS?"

(3) The CentOS-docs list. Anne, the last item I received was dated April
3rd.

Alan.