[CentOS] DKMS

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 19:54:28 UTC 2008

Alan Bartlett wrote:

> (2) We must not loose sight of what CentOS basically is. CentOS == RHEL less
> RH. A stable, server orientated OS. On the fora, we often see evidence that
> CentOS is believed to be similar to *other* distros (that are more suitable
> for laptops & "home" use) and that it, CentOS, can be loaded onto typical
> laptops or home PCs. Then the grumbling starts about the non-operation of a
> bottom-of-the-range NIC or video controller or how multi-media doesn't work
> straight out of the box. The complaints that really irritate me are those
> that end with ". . . . whilst 'foo' (or 'bar' or 'xyzzy' or 'y2') runs o.k.
> on my hardware. So why doesn't CentOS?"

This is more a symptom of the kernel age than anything else, and with
the backported drivers that sometimes end up in CentOS, this is subject
to change as the minor version numbers get their install images rebuilt.
   And with the CentOS plus kernel, this doesn't necessarily track RHEL
exactly either.  Is there a place to find out whether a certain piece of
hardware will work that stays up to date with the updates?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com