[CentOS] Apache Authorization Access Control - location of htpasswd in Centos 5.1?

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 12:48:59 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 7:31 AM, Pam Astor <pamastor at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I tried creating a password file by executing htpasswd -c /passwd/passwords
> famsite but apparently htpasswd is not in my path, I'm getting the "cannot
> create file /passwd/passwords famsite" error.
>

> Anyone know where the default location of htpasswd is on a centos 5.1
> install?  Or how to generate a password file on a centos 5.1 install?

There's a utility called 'which' you can use to discover the location
of certain apps you want to learn about.

[jperrin at insanity ~]$ which htpasswd
/usr/bin/htpasswd

However keep in mind that just because you can run the utility doesn't
mean that you'll have permissions to where it puts the files. It's
possible that you may have to run htpasswd as root.

George Orwell