[CentOS] Apache Authorization Access Control - location of htpasswd in Centos 5.1?

Giulio Troccoli giulio.troccoli at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Apr 6 18:35:06 UTC 2008

Hi Pam,

just my two cents. The command 'htpasswd -c /passwd/passwords famsite'
will do two things: create the password file called passwords in the
/passwd directory, and add the user famsite to it. So, the directory
/passwd must exist, and you did that. However, passwords is a file and
you said you created that directory. This is wrong. If it existed as a
file then htpasswd would recreate it (with the -c option) but I don't
think it would work if passwords was a directory.

Because you're doing all this as root I don't think it's a permission
problem. However, as others pointed out, because the passwords file will
have to be accessible by the user who runs Apache, then you will need to
sort that out later.

Hope this helps. Also, if you type just htpasswd with nothing else you
should have a nice help.

Giulio