[CentOS] CentOS 5.1 x86 medium installation problems

John jses27 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 14:28:14 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 09:02 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> > Anne Wilson wrote:

> >> If neither worked, it doesn't sound like a download issue (agreeing with you
> >> that it verified.)  What exactly 'didn't work'?
> >

> > Regarding SL 5.1 x86 DVD being the case as the most recent that I
> > retested it under vmware, the image passed the sha1sum check, burned it
> > and verified at the same time with nerolinux, but during installation
> > the "medium checking" showed "FAILED", and when I proceeded with
> > installation something very bad like kernel-panic (but not sure if it
> > was kernel-panic) occurred and it rebooted.
> >

> > I have checked my system with memtest86+ 1.70 with no problems found
> > with the default tests.
> >

> > Now I am redownloading the CentOS 5.1 x86 DVD install image, and I will
> > use the image itself first as a virtual DVD under vmware, and will try
> > to verify the medium during install and see if it proceeds OK with
> > installation.
> >
> > If it succeeds, I will burn it to a DVD-RW and retry the same things.
> >
> > SL 5.0 x86 DVD and CentOS 5.0 x86 DVD work OK.
>
> ALSO ... if doing to VMWare, you can just point to the ISO file as a
> CDROM and boot from it directly.
>
> Try to install from that and see if it passes the media test.
>
> That should help determine if the problem is a bad DVD image when burned
> or some kind of kernel boot issue.
>
> Not passing an md5sum/sha1sum can be caused by many things, some of
> which are hardware based but do not affect the install.

Here's an issue with Kernel Panics that Ive had. It was not due to bad
media etc.. As it turned out it was the bios settings. Either the Bios
had to be set to """Default Settings""" or ""APCI"" had to be turned
off.  Also overclocked processors will cause this also and bad ram.

Like Johnny said MD5sum besed on it passing is really dependent on the
media you burn the image to. There is really crappy media out there.
Stick to a good known brand

You can pass no apci to the kernel at install time and try that also.

~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079