[CentOS] rsync question

Ray Leventhal

centos at swhi.net
Mon Apr 7 17:07:48 UTC 2008

Hi folks,

I've been trying to wrap my head around this for a bit, done my googling
and archive searching but I still can't seem to 'get' it.

Here goes:

I've a spare drive in my CentOS5.1 box, which (for testing now) I mount
manually under /mnt/backup

I want to backup the /home tree to that box nightly via rsync (cronjob),
so I tried this:

rsync -avrogz /home/ /mnt/backup/

All goes well, but it seems that rsync is copying the files and
compressing them into an archive....both the file structure and the
archive exist.  Is there a flag I'm missing, or is there a better, more
efficient way to get this accomplished?

Thanks in advance,
-Ray