[CentOS] ssl and NameVirtualHost

Tony Schreiner

schreian at bc.edu
Wed Apr 9 18:22:22 UTC 2008

I recently aquired a Verisign SSL certificate for my web server on
Centos 4, with apache 2.0.59 from centosplus.

It however doesn't seem to be working the way I've set it up,
browsers connect but are told the certiticate is not recognized.
Showing more info, the information looks  correct.

I think it has probably to do with the fact that I'm using the
certificate on a virtual named host, and I wonder If any body has
experience doing this? A few places in the apache documentation
suggest that SSL cannot be used with name based virtual hosting, but
I don't if that means, not at all, or not with multiple named hosts.

I have multiple NameVirtualHost on port 80, but will only plan to use
one of the names on port 443.

The start of the section in my ssl.conf goes like this:

<VirtualHost _default_:443>
     ServerName nameprotected.domain.edu:443
     ServerAdmin me at domain.edu
     DocumentRoot /var/www/docs/nameprotected

nameprotected.domain.edu  is a DNS CNAME to the actual host.

How do folks do SSL and virtual hosts? multiple IP addresses is not
an option for me.

TIA
Tony Schreiner