[CentOS] ssl and NameVirtualHost

Tony Schreiner schreian at bc.edu
Wed Apr 9 19:29:16 UTC 2008

On Apr 9, 2008, at 3:16 PM, Kai Schaetzl wrote:

> Tony Schreiner wrote on Wed, 9 Apr 2008 14:22:22 -0400:
>
>> It however doesn't seem to be working the way I've set it up,
>> browsers connect but are told the certiticate is not recognized.
>
> Unfortunately, the most important information is missing from your
> explanation: please give the exact URL, so one can see the *actual*
> message and the actual certificate. From first "sight" it looks
> like the
> site is not using the certificate you think it uses.
>
> FYI: You can have *one* certificate per IP address. It doesn't
> matter if
> name-based or not. (So, if you want to have 5 name-based SSL
> virtual hosts
> you have to use the same certificate for all of them. That's
> obviously not
> the case for you.)
>
> Kai

I was under the (obviously mistaken) impression that one certificate
per hostname was the rule. and I created the certificate with the
hostname I want to use; which is resolvable; and reachable with
regular http over port 80. And that is the only SSL enabled site I
want to use on this server.

  Getting multiple IP addresses on my server will require a change of
plan of action for me; but may be possible.

Tony