[CentOS] question on RAID performance

Jason jason at jasonandjessi.com
Fri Apr 11 13:34:19 UTC 2008

while it takes a minimum of 6 disks,  we've had great luck with RAID 50.
 Two separate RAID 5 arrays (fast read, moderate writes) that are then
placed into a RAID 0 (fast read, fast write). you lose 2 drives worth of
space, but lord it's fast and the data is mirrored.  Not sure if you can
do the whole thing in software. I use two 3Ware 9650SE cards to do the
RAID 5 and I do RAID 0 in software.

Jason
www.cyborgworkshop.org